Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cloud biscuits

When I first got married I realized that my mother in law was an awesome cook. She never cooked anything unless it was homemade. This seriously intimidated me, I could cook, but never made dough of any form.....SOOOOO, I decided I wanted to learn to make homemade biscuits. My first batch was hard as a rock, I even had to ask my BROTHER in law, who was about 14 years old what kneading meant...hahaha...Well I followed the recipe but the first batch came out hard as a rock, the funny part was I wrapped the hard biscuits in tin foil, I wanted to show my hubby I at least attempted to make them, when I took them out of the tin foil, they were soft, I think I fell on the floor laughing.  I just kept practicing and finally got it right. No more hard biscuits.
This is a very easy recipe and after tweaking it a little, they came out perfect.


2 cups sifted all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cups buttermilk or whole milk
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 more beaten egg for the egg wash

Preheat oven 400 degrees. Sift together all dry ingredients.



Cut in shortening till mixture resembles course crumbs.
you can use a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening

Crumbs.......



 Combine egg and milk in a separate bowl, beat well with a fork. Add in egg mixture to flour.


                                              
whip the egg first and then add milk and whip together


 knead gently with ball of your hand, about 20 strokes. form dough into a ball and lay out on a flour dusted surface.



 Roll out to about 3/4" thickness, using a cookie cutter, cut round circles out, lay on an ungreased cookie sheet.

rolled out with rolling pin
cut with cookie cutter


 Place the biscuits close together, this creates softer sides, brush on a light layer of egg wash over each biscuit....



Bake 10-15 mintes

YES!!!!!! Beautifully baked to a golden brown!!!!!
OK I have to go eat a biscuits now, or two or three.......See ya

 Debbie 

You can print this recipe here: Cloud Biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment