Friday, March 29, 2013

Chicken Schnitzel with Cheddar Cheese Sauce

In 2010 we moved to South Africa for two years. While we were there I was introduced to a lot of new and tasty foods, like this Chicken Schnitzel with Cheese Sauce. I didn't have a recipe for the South African version of this dish, so I created one based on my limited knowledge of cooking a 'flattened' chicken breast and of making a cheese sauce... and of course relying on my memory of what that South African Schnitzel tasted like! The final product, I am happy to say, was good enough to empress my South African husband... I even received a 'this is better than the ones back home' comment! *Hurray! I'll take it!*


Ingredients: 

Chicken:
6 boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 C flour
3 eggs- lightly beaten
1 1/4 C dry Italian bread crumbs
Oil for frying

Cheese Sauce: 
 2 1/2 tbsp butter
1 C milk
4 tsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C (packed) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper {optional}




Chicken:
To flatten chicken, place a chicken breast between two pieces of wax or parchment paper. {Note: I remove any fat and then rinse/pat dry the chicken breast before I begin}. Using a meat mallet {or in my case a rolling pin...also hear champagne bottles and heavy frying pans work well, so use whatever you can come up with} gently flatten the chicken, careful not 'break' the meat. Flatten to approximately  3/8" to 1/2" thick. Do this for each breast. *Sorry I forgot to snap a photo of this part of the process, will add the next time I prepare*

In wide shallow bowls place your lightly beaten eggs, Italian bread crumbs and flour. Dredge chicken pieces in flour then egg then coat completely with bread crumbs. Place all the coated pieces in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to dry/set. 



In a large non-stick skillet, heat your oil {about 1/4"} over medium-high heat. Adding no more than two pieces of chicken at a time, cook until golden brown and cooked through {about 3 minutes on each side}. 


Drain off excess oil on paper towel lined platter and keep warm while you prepare the cheese sauce. 



To prepare cheese sauce, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until smooth. 


Add bit of the milk, whisking to incorporate all together smoothly. Then add remaining milk and the salt and  bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook for about 2 minutes until thickened. 


Remove from heat and add cheese, pepper and small pinch of cayenne pepper {optional}. 


Whisk all together until cheese is melted. 




Then serve {or smother!} this sauce over your chicken schnitzel... and that's it! I really really hope you find that you like this recipe as much as we do!!



*Note: this cheese sauce would also be great over fish, vegetables or as a warm cheese dip {my kids even love this as a dipping sauce for their beloved chicken nuggets}! 

 Dedra

Print this recipe hereChicken Schnitzel with Cheese Sauce
Want just the cheese sauce? Can find that here: Cheese Sauce






2 comments: